8.0475 Rs: Academic E-Publishing (2/42)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Mon, 24 Apr 1995 10:30:49 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0475. Monday, 24 Apr 1995.

(1) Date: Sat, 22 Apr 95 12:30:07 PDT (20 lines)
From: Joseph Jones <jjones@unixg.ubc.ca>
Subject: Academic Electronic Publishing

(2) Date: Sat, 22 Apr 1995 16:32:19 -0400 (22 lines)
From: mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca (Willard McCarty)
Subject: e-publishing: the missing Library

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 95 12:30:07 PDT
From: Joseph Jones <jjones@unixg.ubc.ca>

Willard McCarty's query about academic electronic publishing
mentions (in the order given here) four "institutional pieces":
computing centres, university presses, administrative support,
faculty. This focus on means of production and distribution
seems rooted in present print culture. I find it odd that the
library receives no mention whatsoever. Whether the medium is
paper or plastic or electrons, the content will have to be
acquired, organized, stored, preserved, and made available.
Disintermediation may be contemplated, but libraries have been
around considerably longer than computing centers or university
presses. Sorry I do not have any kind of receipe to put forward.
I just wanted to get in a word for a missing ingredient.

Joseph Jones jjones@unixg.ubc.ca
University of British Columbia Library