8.0488 Online Catalogue of Archival Ethnographic Film (1/46)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Wed, 3 May 1995 14:15:26 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0488. Wednesday, 3 May 1995.

Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 15:32:56 +0000
From: marcus.banks@anthropology.oxford.ac.uk
Subject: Ethnographic Film Catalogue

Dear HUMANIST subscribers,

I hope the following announcement is of interest. The message is being
cross-posted to a number of lists, so please forgive any duplication.

HADDON: an on-line catalogue of archival ethnographic film
compiling a catalogue of archival ethnographic film footage for the period
1895-1945. The catalogue is named after AC Haddon, the British
anthropologist and pioneer in the use of film in ethnographic research;
HADDON should go on-line through the World-Wide Web in late 1996.

At this stage I would be grateful of your help with two things:

(i) any suggestions of sources of archival film footage of non-European and
indigenous peoples (museums, archives, and so forth). I do not need the
films themselves, simply access to catalogue data;

(ii) volunteers who would be willing to participate in a small number of
'field trials' of remote electronic databases. The trials will take place
at the end of this year and during 1996; volunteers can be anywhere in the
world, but should have access to the Internet and preferably the World-Wide
Web.

If you can offer hep with either of these I would very much like to hear
from you. Further information about the HADDON project can be found at the
following URL:

http://www.rsl.ox.ac.uk/isca/haddon/HADD_home.html

This page also leads through to a electronic form which can be submitted
directly to me. Alteratively you can email me directly (*not* to the list
please) for further information or to volunteer for the trials:

marcus.banks@anthro.ox.ac.uk

Many thanks,

Marcus Banks
Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology
University of Oxford, UK