9.0011 Webs: Third Stream Computing; AI Conference (2/93)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 9 May 1995 23:14:01 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 9, No. 0011. Tuesday, 9 May 1995.

(1) Date: Sun, 7 May 1995 22:24:57 -0400 (58 lines)
From: chk@cs.oberlin.edu (Christian Koch)
Subject: Third Stream Computing Online Learning Center

(2) Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 07:59:49 -0400 (35 lines)
From: jramire@ccs.internet.ve (Jose Ramirez)
Subject: WWW - VIII National Conference on Artificial Intelligence

Date: Sun, 7 May 1995 22:24:57 -0400
From: chk@cs.oberlin.edu (Christian Koch)

I would like to call your attention to the Web pages of the Third Stream
Computing Online Learning Center sponsored by the program in Third Stream
Computing and the Computer Science Department of Oberlin College. The URL
is:
http://www-ts.cs.oberlin.edu/

Third Stream Computing is the name of an academic minor in Computer Science
offered by the Computer Science Department/Program of Oberlin College. It
is a program aimed in the general direction of humanities computing, but is
perhaps more technical in orientation than some humanities computing
emphases. Third Stream Computing is designed to provide relatively
sophisticated application development computing skills to students having
expertise in disciplines other than computer science (literature,
economics, medicine, law, philosophy, etc.). By "Third" Stream Computing I
mean to distinguish it from "First" Stream Computing, by which I understand
computer science proper and "Second" Stream Computing, which I understand
to be so-called computer literacy. It seems to me that, increasingly,
computer science majors will write the complex tools that third stream type
students will use to change the face of the future. Computer literacy
seems to me to be the new name for sweatshop jobs -- data entry clerks,
schedulers, word processors, etc.

I urge you to log on to our Third Stream Learning Center server and browse
around the various "rooms" -- Reference, Discussion, Classrooms, Technical,
Recreation, Rotunda (Information), Student Offices, Lunchroom, etc. The
rooms are far from completed but the general orientation is obvious. I see
the Learning Center in the future as primarily discussion oriented
(QuickCam technology, real-time emphasis, distributed real-time labs), but
you will now also find all of my current courses online (lab assignments
primarily), which include a set of online labs on using the Internet and
writing HTML documents, which some of you may find useful (a course called
"Internet '95" in the Classroom area of the Learning Center). The Learning
Center is being developed on a daily basis. I would be very happy to hear
your comments and suggestions.

I am also anxious to join up with others -- both for personal research and
for joint online course offerings -- in the general area of what I am
calling third stream computing. The Third Stream Computing program at
Oberlin is, in particular, looking to cooperate with others to achieve
course enrichments which are more content specific than has been possible
up to now with the limited faculty time available to our program. I am
personally interested in the work of Martin Heidegger (as fraught with
difficulty and danger as that may currently be) and in its relation both to
the philosophy of the deep ecology movement and to applied computing in the
humanities.

Christian Koch
Professor, Computer Science
Oberlin College