9.0016 Rs: Chameleon; Scanning; Union List (3/80)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Mon, 15 May 1995 10:54:46 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 9, No. 0016. Monday, 15 May 1995.

(1) Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 07:09:09 -0400 (42 lines)
From: mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca (Willard McCarty)
Subject: R: Chameleon Sampler

(2) Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 07:32:10 +0200 (14 lines)
From: bizer@clipper.ens.fr (Marc Bizer)
Subject: Scanning

(3) Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 08:44:09 -0500 (24 lines)
From: David Bantz <DBantz@UWLaX.edu>
Subject: Re: 9.0009 Rs: Union List

Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 07:09:09 -0400
From: mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca (Willard McCarty)

In answer to Hanna Kahana's note in Humanist 9.14 about Chameleon software,
I am one such user. The shareware version, known as the Chameleon Sampler,
comes with books & is available online from ftp.netmanage.com. The version I
prefer comes with Adam Engst, <t>The Internet Starter Kit for PC</t>, which
as a book is rather less than useful but worth $39.95 (Canadian deflated
dollars) for the diskette because it makes installation easier than
otherwise. The comparative degree of "easy" I use advisedly. Installing
TCP/IP Winsock software in order to achieve a direct Internet connection is
not simple. I have suffered through the plains and anguish of doing so, to
get a dial-up PPP connection from home, because the results are more than
worth the hours spent and confusion fought through. If, that is, your online
life is important to you.

After I figured out as much of this stuff as I could, I wrote some WWW pages
to explain the process to my colleagues here -- and elsewhere perhaps. Try
the URL

http://www.cch.epas.utoronto.ca:8080/cch/connect/connect0.html

Please keep in mind that the Technical Bulletin at the other end of this
address was written for people at Toronto who use a specific machine. I am
not technically adept enough to know if a more widely applicable version of
the bulletin could be written for the world at large without making it too
general to be of real use. Comments welcome.

In fact, it would be useful to have some discussion of what people use to
get their direct connections to the Internet. There are a number of rather
expensive packages, but for our community, at least now, I think the
attention should be paid to things like the Sampler that are free or very cheap.

WM

Willard McCarty, Centre for Computing in the Humanities (Toronto)
(416) 978-3974 voice (416) 978-6519 fax mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca
http://www.cch.epas.utoronto.ca:8080/cch/wm.html