9.169 literary theory

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Tue, 19 Sep 1995 18:20:44 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist

[1] From: Richard Bear <RBEAR@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU> (5)
Subject: Re: 9.167 literary theory

[2] From: Steven Totosy <Steven.Totosy@UAlberta.CA> (10)

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 16:11:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Bear <RBEAR@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>

Mostly around here literature is taught as a weapon (i.e., it is the
patriarchal system being imposed on you, so watch out etc.). I incline more
toward mimesis, but not as mirror (showing us ourselves, or the world) so
much as modeling (attempt to show what *might be* the world and ourselves in
becoming.

rbear