9.183 UVic Guide; online zips

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 19:59:15 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist

[1] From: Arnie Keller <akeller@sol.uvic.ca> (24)
Subject: UVic's Writer's Guide

[2] From: Glenn Everett <geverett@UTM.Edu> (10)
Subject: Re: 9.179 serendipitous postage on the Internet

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 07:37:02 -0700
From: Arnie Keller <akeller@sol.uvic.ca>

Hello

Avril Henry wrote me saying that all was fine after all with his receiving
the Writer's Guide from the University of Victoria. Since I had changed
nothing, I assume that there was *merely* a problem with the transatlantic
link at that particular time. I will check this morning to learn why it was
slow going for you Sunday night. At UVic, things sometimes go funny on
weekends.

As far as I understand, an interlaced image differs only from regular
images in that it changes the sequence by which it sends out data. Data
still comes in at whatever speed the link can handle. In any case, I use
only one such image for the entire Writer's Guide, and once you have it, it
will be cached. Subsequent calls to it should go fast. Perhaps the problem
was the link itself, although Princeton to BC isn't particularly a far way
on the Net.

Thanks for looking at the Guide. I hope it's worth the bother.

Arnie Keller

Arnie Keller
Director of the Writing Program
Department of English