9.195 wordprocessing

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 20:21:26 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist

[1] From: "Paul F. Schaffner" <pfs@umich.edu> (33)
Subject: The mature word processor

[2] From: "Peter A. Batke" <BATKE@pucc.Princeton.EDU> (202)
Subject: Demise of wp

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 08:00:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Paul F. Schaffner" <pfs@umich.edu>

Word processors may be mature, but they are mature in the manner of
the "Swiss army knife," not that of the table fork: the latter, supremely
suited to its function, admits of little improvement; the former,
burdened with too many functions, neither performs any of them well
nor comes close to exhausting the demand for further functions.
For further improvement in word processors they may have to be broken
up into linked modules (whether through proprietary links, system-based
links like OLE, or simply use of a common file format): I have found
myself reverting to the old model of using one program for entering
data, another for editing it, and yet a third for formatting it.

Here are a few features that one looks for in vain combined in a single
word-processing or text-processing program.

o Decent footnote formatting. I am still looking for any program
short of TeX that will allow the kind of run-together footnotes
typical of a critical edition.
o Regular-expression search and replace. It would be very handy to
have the analytical power of Emacs or (better) Perl included in
a word processor.
o SGML support. There is no point in hoping for the kind of native
SGML authoring tools found in stand-alone editors like those by
ArborText and SoftQuad, but some SGML support would be useful:
like that found (again) in Emacs in SGML mode.
o 16-bit characters. I think that we are all looking for at least
partial support of Unicode, and the advantages in ease and
standardization of multilingual computing that that would bring.
o Complete customizability, from sort sequences and keyboard files
to printer drivers and file-naming conventions. Above all, one
looks for customizable levels of transparency, from a mode that
shows every ^Z on screen to one that shows only the printed output.
o Ability to handle large (1 MB+) files easily, quickly, and safely.
This may amount to a desire for a decent 32-bit word processor
(OS/2 in my case).

Paul Schaffner pfs@umich.edu
Middle English Dictionary USERGFNK@UMICHUM