9.252 humanities computing software

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 20:40:43 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: John Merritt Unsworth (43)
<jmu2m@jefferson.village.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: 9.251 more on layered hypertext

[2] From: rbh <R.B.Hardy@ukc.ac.uk> (36)

[3] From: Language Technology <langtech@DGS.dgsys.com> (35)

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 20:59:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Merritt Unsworth <jmu2m@jefferson.village.virginia.edu>

Willard,

> Fellow Humanists may remember my undoubtedly vague description of a "layered
> hypertext" system for representing annotations to a text. Roy Flannagan then
> asked me to clarify what I wanted out of my text that I needed such a system
> to represent it. I return by asking myself what use it is to dream of
> something no one has the time or money to build.

I think we might have built it, or at least a first pass at it.

> I guess one way of approaching the question Roy raised is to think about the
> bind New Critics (or at least their students) used to get into when
> attempting to make note of all the minute phenomena one could notice in a
> text. Another way is to think about any text you have studied intensively
> for a long time, and the edition of it in whose pages you have made detained
> marginal notes. I imagine that if one could virtually place a series of
> transparent layers over the image of the text, on each of them inscribing a
> particular set or kind of notes, one might achieve a more adequate
> representation of the text's complexity than otherwise possible. In other
> words, 3-dimensionalize the scholarly commentary.

Willard! At IATH, we have been developing a software package called Inote,
which takes any image, including an image of a page of text, and puts any
number of clear overlays on top of it, allowing you to draw details
(points, circles, rectangles) on those overlays and attach each detail to
either a textual annotation or another image. You can display multiple
overlays simultaneously, or you can turn them all off and just see the
image.

We've produced the first of several special classes of overlays--an
overlay that can take a page of text, identify each line automatically,
create a detail over each line, and number each detailed line (or, with
user input, identify top, middle, bottom, right, middle, left margin
areas plus each line of text).

One goal is to integrate Inote with SGML markup, so that one could go
from an SGML file to the relevant section of an image; another goal is to
port Inote to Java, so that it will be distributable to all the major
computer platforms and usable over the Web. We're actively working on
both of those things now. If anyone's interested in the current state of
the software (version 3.0, written in C++, X, Motif++, HDF), the source code
is available by anonymous ftp at jefferson.village.virginia.edu, where it
can be found in pub/software/iath, and if you have Xwindows or
X-emulation software on a PC or Mac, you can experiment with the software
using a forms-based demonstration on the IATH web site, at

http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/software.html

Comments, design suggestions, and/or programming assistance welcome...

John Unsworth