9.268 vagueness

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Sun, 5 Nov 1995 17:51:00 -0500 (EST)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: Marta Steele (9)
<Marta_Steele@pupress.princeton.edu>
Subject: vagueness

[2] From: Gary Shawver <gshawver@epas.utoronto.ca> (13)
Subject: Re: 9.266 vagueness

[3] From: "H-CLC (BD)" <bdiederi@artsci.wustl.edu> (35)
Subject: Re: 9.261 vagueness

[4] From: "Sarah L. Higley" <slhi@troi.cc.rochester.edu> (8)

[5] From: Curtis Rice <crice@sfu.ca> (18)

[6] From: Language Technology <langtech@DGS.dgsys.com> (18)

Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 08:56:34 EST
From: Marta Steele <Marta_Steele@pupress.princeton.edu>

As an editor and translator, I tackle this problem all of the time,
from a more pragmatic perspective than the sought-after philosophers.
Vagueness has its value in more poetic contexts, of course, where it
is to be cherished and untouched. As far as the rest, I would request
that Willard give us a sample passage, a case in point, to argue over
and perhaps generalize from. I don't promise to add any further
arguments, unless I really have something to say, but I'll certainly
be interested in reading what ensues from this, if anything.

Marta Steele
Princeton University Press

[Perhaps others would be willing to contribute examples as well? --WM]