9.348 text-to-image; theology; English studies

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Sun, 3 Dec 1995 12:25:56 -0500 (EST)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca> (36)
Subject: more on text-to-image software

[2] From: Jaroslav Skira <jskira@epas.utoronto.ca> (15)
Subject: Re: 9.346 theological resources?

[3] From: W Schipper <schipper@morgan.ucs.mun.ca> (8)
Subject: Re: 9.340 English studiesin the 90s?

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 09:16:19 -0500
From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca>

Thanks to Judy Koren for mentioning LView, which I have used along with
Adobe Photoshop for some time. Neither of these packages allow you, however,
to import a text-file and turn it into an image (bmp, gif, etc.). This can
be done in Corel Draw, but the result is not satisfactory, especially when
one uses the gif filter. Gary Shawver has reported that it can be done --
and I know done well -- with ClarisWorks and GraphicConverter on the Mac. I
would really appreciate recommendations from anyone who has surveyed the
available tools, but further discussion of favourite techniques would be
welcome. (I use Windows 95, but a broader discussion of tools would be
welcome to many, I am sure.)

So far the best results I have been able to achieve have come from taking
screen snapshots of documents in a Windows wordprocessor, then (for images
larger than a screen-full) putting the pieces together in Photoshop. A bit
too fussy a procedure for me, but perhaps I'll have to live with it.

For examples, see the newly announced TCH Working Papers, e.g. Figure 1 in
K. Steele's article,

http://www.epas.utoronto.ca:8080/tchwp/steele/sf1.html

or Figure 20 in W. McCarty's,

http://www.epas.utoronto.ca:8080/tchwp/mccarty/mf20.html

Both were originally composed in WordPerfect, brought into Word, captured in
pieces by a snapshot program, then put together in Photoshop, which I also
used to draw the borders.

For an example of Corel-filtered output, see Figure 2 in W. McCarty's article,

http://www.epas.utoronto.ca:8080/tchwp/mccarty/mf2.html

The problem here, as you can see, is what has happened to the proportional
spacing of the Windows font Lucida Bright -- and would happen with any other
you might choose (I tried several). The problem seems to be in the gif
filter. The brace-brackets, by the way, were done in Photoshop, the big one
by stretching a typeset bracket.

Now if HTML were only sophisticated enough, all this fuss would not be
necessary -- and if pigs had wings they could fly. Some of us need to fly
now, however, with whatever is available.

Thanks for the help.

WM

Willard McCarty, Centre for Computing in the Humanities
Departments of Classical Studies and Italian Studies (Toronto)
(416) 978-3974 voice (416) 978-6519 fax mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca
http://www.epas.utoronto.ca:8080/~mccarty/wlm/