9.358 encoding, accents, interpretation

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 19:13:43 -0500 (EST)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: Jean V=8Eronis <veronis@univ-aix.fr> (170)
Subject: Re: 9.356 Lettres accentue'es

[2] From: Harry Gaylord <galiard@let.rug.nl> (8)
Subject: Re: 9.356 Lettres accentu&eacute;es

[3] From: Ian Lancashire <ian@epas.utoronto.ca> (81)
Subject: encoding and interpretation

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 1995 12:22:31 +0200
From: Jean V=8Eronis <veronis@univ-aix.fr>

We had quite a number of (occasionnally hot) discussions on the LN list=20
(ln@cnusc.fr) about accents in French.

What seems to the majority feeling is that:

(1) it is NOT acceptable to lose the accents in any language (think of writ=
ing=20
English without the letter group "th", and you will understand the problem)

(2) systems like SGML entities are too heavy to type and read without appro=
priate=20
software--that most people don't have (even if you have it, chances are goo=
d that=20
it is not connected to your mailer).

In addition, it seems that in most Internet communication nowadays, accents=
are=20
transmitted correctly. Only a few environments (including, unfortunately Li=
stservs)=20
are accent-hostile, but I am sure that the situation will change.

For the time being, there is a broadly accepted e-mail convention for=20
accent-hostile environments, it is the "Easy French" convention developed b=
y=20
Franc,ois Pinard (mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca), which I quote below. It =
is easy=20
to type, easy to read, and there is a free program (`recode' from the GNU=
=20
distribution) that can translate from about any character set into it (and =
back=20
with a few ambiguities).

Jean Ve'ronis :-)

-----

Quoted from the GNU `recode' on-line information: