9.405 OED online at Alberta

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 21:53:11 -0500 (EST)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: Terry Butler <Terry.Butler@UAlberta.CA> (20)
Subject: Re: 9.397 the OED online & on CD

>The OED is available on the Web at
>http://libits.library.ualberta.ca/library_html/databases/oed.html
>
>Barry Allan (B.C.Allan@massey.ac.nz)
>Barry (B.C.Allan@massey.ac.nz)
>Department of Business Law
>Massey University
>Palmerston North, New Zealand
>
>[Editor's note. The above service at Alberta does not work from Toronto.
>I get the expected message telling me that I do not have permission. My
>guess is that anyone who does not get this message has special
>privileges. As far as I know, such privileges are, strictly speaking,
>against the contract that a university signs with OUP. Clarification on
>this point would be welcome. --WM]

WWW access to the OED is only apparent, alas. The Univeristy of Alberta has
a licence to deliver the Oxford English Dictionary service to the faculty,
staff, and students of our University only. Use of the service by others is
prohibited by our contract with OUP, and attempts to connect from outside
our campus environment are blocked by our server software.