9.462 editorial form-letters

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 18:23:10 -0500 (EST)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@phoenix.princeton.edu> (45)
Subject: form-letter responses

All too eager fingers just now eradicated a couple of messages showing
attempts to UNsubscribe from Humanist. So I take this opportunity to let the
individuals in question know how to make a quick exit, and to give you the
chance to see my form-letter messages, perhaps to suggest improvements.

1. Response to those who knock on the door

>The following message indicates that you have requested a subscription to
>Humanist. Forgive the form-letter response, but this information is the
>same for everyone.
>
>Information about applying for membership in Humanist is given in full at
>the URL http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/. If you cannot access
>the World Wide Web, even through Lynx, write to the Assistant Editor,
>Christopher Fox, at cgfox@rci.rutgers.edu.
>
>Thanks for your patience.

2. Response to those who submit messages from an unrecognized address

>The response to your message indicates that either you are not a member
>of Humanist or you have submitted the following from an address other
>than the one under which you subscribed. If you are a member, forgive me
>first of all for the return of your message, then please resubmit under
>the address known to Humanist or change the address. (See the basic
>information for members at the URL
> http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/
>if you do not remember how to do this.) If for some reason you cannot
>control the exact address your system uses, please let me know -- and
>resubmit your message.
>
>If you are not a member, note that Humanist does not as a rule circulate
>messages from outside its membership. Information about joining Humanist
>may be obtained from the above URL.

3. Response to those attempting to unsubscribe

>The following indicates that you are trying to unsubscribe from Humanist.
>Please see the information accessible via the Web page whose address is
>in the header of each Humanist message. If you cannot access the Web, or
>otherwise find it impossible to unsubscribe, please write to the
>Assistant Editor, Christopher Fox, cgfox@rci.rutgers.edu.
>
>As editor I would very much like to know if your exit has anything to do
>with aspects of Humanist we might change. All constructive criticism is
>welcome, even if it must come in a "curtain speech".
>
>Thanks.

Comments welcome.

WM