9.488 Humanist and the Web

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 19:13:07 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: "Eric S. Rabkin" <esrabkin@umich.edu> (29)
Subject: Webifying Humanist

[2] From: brians@wsu.edu (14)
Subject: Humanities Web links

[3] From: "John M. Unsworth" <jmu2m@virginia.edu> (34)
Subject: Re: 9.485 the Web and Humanist

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 96 11:17:11 EST
From: "Eric S. Rabkin" <esrabkin@umich.edu>

Dear Willard and gang,

It seems to me that Web pages and e-lists are radically different genres and
normally have radically different uses. It would be fine if useful Humanist
web pages attracted some non-members to join the e-list, but I think it
would be a shame if members like me, who usually only lurk on Humanist,
decided that consulting the Web site occasionally could substitute for
overhearing the conversation and effectively ceased to be members. So I
suggest that the Web site ought to have as little functional overlap with
the e-list as possible. Having said that, I'd still have no objection to
webifying Humanist's archive not because I endorse having the archive
accessible to non-members but because a handy gui could be such an
improvement over the current search procedures. I also positively endorse
the idea of having a Humanist Web page that might point to the sorts of
rationalized resources that Andrew Burday maintains for philosophy-related
material. I'm involved in a similar site for fantasy and science fiction
materials, http://www.umich.edu/~umfandsf/, and would be happy to have a
Humanist webmaster consider linking the Humanist page to it. Links to
resources on subjects of interest in Humanist discussions might be helpful.
But, of course, there are already well maintained subject-oriented guides to
the Internet (e.g., http://www.lib.umich.edu/chhome.html), so anyone
contemplating being the webmaster ought to consider the marginal utility to
the Humanist community of the effort s/he would need to contribute. I'd be
happy to have someone do it, but I'd certainly counsel an untenured
colleague not to volunteer.

Best,

Eric

Eric S. Rabkin esrabkin@umich.edu
Dept of English 313-764-2553: Office
Univ of Michigan 313-764-6330: Dept
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1045 313-763-3128: Dept'l Fax