9.510 e-archives -> finding on the Web

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 18:57:47 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: POWELL S <asp@soi.city.ac.uk> (22)
Subject: Re: 9.503 e-archiving

On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Humanist wrote:

> [1] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (26)

[snip]

> fee-based services); 3. getting our search engines refined enough to find
> out (perhaps by having a place where one could announce what was available).
> Note that much of this requires a will to do it, and that there are the
> inevitable copyright problems and the like. Gedanken are not always frei.
> Jim Marchand.

Funnily enough, I was entering some URLs for a site I've designed in some
of the major search engines (lycos, yahoo, webcrawler) when I came across
a service called Submit-It!, a web-based service which takes your input
and submits the details to fifteen different search engines, allowing
them to come and index your site and more importantly publicise it to the
rest of the search-engine-using internet public.

In addition to this, you might also consider posting details to a usenet
newsgraoup called comp.infosystems.www.announce, which exists solely for
the purpose of distributing the details of new sites. A comprehensive FAQ
is often posted there, if you have questions about using the service.

The url for Submit-It! is http://www.submit-it.com, by the way.

Hope this helps!

Simon Powell
asp@is.city.ac.uk