9.537 LC categories

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 19:15:49 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: FLANNAGAN@ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu (27)
Subject: RE: 9.532 LC categories?

[2] From: Wendell Piez <piez@rci.rutgers.edu> (26)
Subject: LC categories

Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 09:45:29 EST
From: FLANNAGAN@ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu

The various bits of a Library of Congress "card" are all valuable
indexing tools. The numbers, of course, are retrieval devices, and the
LC numbers are very useful for serendipitious searches around real
libraries: in literature, one hunts in the PR, PS, and Z sections for
primary stuff. The dates of the authors and editors are also very
useful. Certainly the table of contents or chapter headings are
valuable. Perhaps the most useful information is the relational
data--related topics, similar to key words in that they lead us to
further sources of related information.

Now that we can search such information electronically in our
libraries, we can decide whether we really want to go fetch the book by
uncovering the various layers of information. Personally, I would
rather pull the information from an electronic catalogue than I would
thumb through the old cards, though I do have a sentimental attachment
to the process of pulling out the drawers and seeing what is there.

How can the information be used by humanities scholars? In the
{Milton Review}, my co-worker Kevin Creamer decided to pull the Library
of Congress information to append to every review--a move that I
thought was very bright, because a review can't tell the entire story,
and the LC card fills in for what the review does not reveal.

Roy Flannagan