9.556 CD-ROM dissertations

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 18:53:40 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: Matthew Gary Kirschenbaum (35)
<mgk3k@faraday.clas.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: 9.547 CD-ROM dissertations

[2] From: ari kambouris <aristotl@oeonline.com> (33)

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 21:44:21 -0500 (EST)
From: Matthew Gary Kirschenbaum <mgk3k@faraday.clas.virginia.edu>

I'm currently beginning work on an electronic dissertation at
Virginia, under the supervision of John Unsworth and Jerry
McGann. Tentatively entitled _Poetry, Information, and
Hypertext: Towards a Poetics of Cognition for the Networked
Academy_, the dissertation will be Web-based, in the form of
HTML documents with a possible VRML installation.

I'd like to take a moment to respond to a few of Patrick
Coppock's recent comments on hypermedia, especially those that
relate to "form and content." Though he acknowledges that the
two are "related" in some way, much of what I perceive as the
skepticism underlying Coppock's post on hypermedia scholarship
is an outgrowth of his assumption that production is not
altogether the scholar's business, and is perhaps best left
to those who possess the requisite technical expertise:

> One way to increase the focus on content and to decrease the focus on form/
> medium is obviously to work towards more collaboration and distribution of
> responsibilities in the publishing process between people with different
> kinds of expertise and to learn from one another.

In at least some of its possible manifestations, I would argue
that the opportunities offered by hypermedia scholarship are
precisely the transcendence of the distinctions between form
and content that Coppock suggests should be institutionally
reinforced. To do so does indeed require that a scholar learn
some of the "production" skills, but I see no reason why those
skills must stand separate and apart from what we value as
intellectual labor or achievement--though I am aware that Deans
may feel differently. Still, the most compelling scholarship
for me has always been that which is performative, in which
medium and message are mutually codependent and expressive.
Hypermedia ought not to be perceived as that medium which can
only flourish in the absence of the scholar's primary
responsibility toward the circumstances of its production.

Matthew G. Kirschenbaum University of Virginia
mgk3k@virginia.edu Department of English
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/~mgk3k Electronic Text Center