9.561 students, community, the Web

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 18:40:24 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: tomdill@womenscol.stephens.edu (28)
Subject: Plagiarism and community (online or off)

[2] From: John Slatin <jslatin@mail.utexas.edu> (75)
Subject: Re: 9.560 students seeking online help

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 18:33:10 -0600
From: tomdill@womenscol.stephens.edu

I agree with Paul Brians that the potential misuse of materials found
online is another area of concern for those of us evaluating student
writing--especially the undergraduate "research" work done in our
areas. I would suggest, however, that the problems are not only
linked to online materials. In our program, we have moved toward
encouraging student collaboration and interaction at all stages
of their writing process, and we encourage peer-editing. Since
I also see several stages in the process of almost all student
writing, I tend to feel that this process-orientation works against
the more trivial forms of plagiarism and offers a kind of solution to
that old problem. (It helps solve it, that is, once we move the
students past the point of supposing a book report--as they wrote
in high school--is a "research project." Until then, all the old
forms of plagiarism are pervasive.) But the collaborative character
of so much of the work our students do seems to me to open serious
questions about what we mean about plagiarism in the first place--
or maybe in the third or fourth places, since the first place is
pretty consistent. The whole online phenomenon (as has been
discussed here in other contexts) undermines some of the notions
of ownership and individual activity on which traditional grading
and evaluation of student work have been based, and I would suggest
that it is simply a further extension of the same problem created
by shifting to a process-oriented pedagogy--we are no longer, in
this situation, grading the solitary and independent work of a
single student, and that puts the whole system of grades into
question.
I don't mean to head off Paul Brian's question, but merely to
broaden the context a bit.
Tom Dillingham (tomdill@womenscol.stephens.edu)