9.611 software desires & development

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 23:15:35 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: "Gary W. Shawver" <gshawver@epas.utoronto.ca> (12)
Subject: Re: 9.609 whither software?

[2] From: Robert Kraft <kraft@ccat.sas.upenn.edu> (75)

[3] From: tellier@lifac.ens-cachan.fr (5)
Subject: software for the evolution of words

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 10:10:14 -0500
From: "Gary W. Shawver" <gshawver@epas.utoronto.ca>

Not sure I'm up to some of the broader issues surrounding text analysis
software packages (tasp's), but here goes. To my mind one of the biggest
shortcomings with my tasp (TACT) is its inability to follow multiple lines
of inquiry more or less simultaneously, which is how most of us work. As
for what tasp packages will look like in 20 years (I'm not sure of your
'functions' versus 'design' distinction) here's my wish list: rudimentary
understanding of natural languages (OK, so I'm dreaming . . .), editable
text databases (or none at all), multitasking, oral user interface (oui) or
oral interface (oi!). Perhaps I'm getting silly now. Let's here from
someone else.

Gary W. Shawver, University of Toronto
E-Mail: gshawver@epas.utoronto.ca
WWW: http://www.epas.utoronto.ca:8080/~gshawver/gshawver.html