9.655 OCR software

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 18:50:31 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (17)
Subject: OCR

[2] From: John Price-Wilkin <jpwilkin@umich.edu> (43)
Subject: Re: 9.651 the state of OCR?

[3] From: Jean Anderson <jganders@human.gla.ac.uk> (12)

[4] From: Roger Brisson <rob@psulias.psu.edu> (40)
Subject: Re: OCR

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 96 19:22:31 CST
From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

I have tried most of them and agree with you that OmniPage Pro is the best.
I do lots of scanning, formerly because of neuropathy (could not type), now
because I like it. In its latest incarnation, OmniPage Pro has the fault
that one is required during the installation program to register the program
in order to avoid being terminated by their counter (I believe one gets 15
scans before having to register). I do not like to be told to do anything
with a piece of software I have paid good money for. If you do a lot of
text scanning, it is well to train it to read the particular font used in a
series. I trained it to read SUGNL fonts, that being the largest collection
of Old Norse texts; now I can scan in any one I want with no trouble. I
have not tried it with non-European scripts, but I had great success there
with the old Kurzweil 4000. The Kurzweil Discover had many good features,
among others that one could scan while working on other things, since it had
its own CPU and did not tie up the machine it was connected to. Alas, it
was not trainable. It is obvious that we still have lots of work to do in
the OCR field. BTW, do not hesitate to use all the languages you need with
OmniPage Pro; I use about 7 and have not noticed any appreciable slow-down.
Jim Marchand.