9.689 designing a position in humanities computing

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 21:21:36 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: John Slatin <jslatin@mail.utexas.edu> (27)
Subject: Re: 9.682 designing a position in humanities computing

[2] From: "Patrick W. Conner" <U47C2@wvnvm.wvnet.edu> (83)

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 09:35:02 -0600
From: John Slatin <jslatin@mail.utexas.edu>

Maybe this simply (re)states the obvious, but it's increasingly clear to me
that we're talking about two separate kinds of positions here, or at least
different functions. One of these involves humanities computing as I
described it in my post yesterday: the expression of disciplinary concerns,
both scholarly and pedagogical, in the computational medium, i.e., as
electronic documents and as software. This is clearly a *faculty* position.
Right now this is a narrow specialization which only a few graduate programs
are preparing graduate students to fill; in years to come, "humanities
computing" will be the norm. So that's one position. The other is a
staff/support position, whose purpose is to enable the former by providing
additinal technical expertise that falls outside the purview of graduate
training in our fields. This position can, I think, sometimes be filled by
students, and indeed this is one way that we can assure ourselves that there
will be technically skilled people who are also informed, to some degree at
least, about disciplinary concerns. But these are complementary positions;
without the faculty person, the technical person has no significant mission
beyond making sure the IP addresses are entered correctly or whatever (not
that this is trivial!); without the technical person, even the most highly
skilled humanities computing faculty cannot fully realize his or her goals.

In order to make this work, then, we're going to have to abandon our
customary model of the individual scholar working alone; computational
projects of any significance are of necessity collaborative efforts now.
Professor John M. Slatin
Director, Computer Writing & Research Lab
Div. of Rhetoric and Composition and Dept. of English
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712
jslatin@mail.utexas.edu http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu