9.690 online teaching

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 21:22:52 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: John Slatin <jslatin@mail.utexas.edu> (44)
Subject: Re: 9.685 online teaching

[2] From: Jaroslav Skira <jskira@epas.utoronto.ca> (12)

[3] From: Tim Krause <tkrause@resume.mdn.com> (16)

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 09:35:06 -0600
From: John Slatin <jslatin@mail.utexas.edu>

More than 20 of the instructors teaching in the Computer Writing and
Research Lab classrooms this semester have posted their syllabi and other
course materials on the Web; we also maintain a list of links to courses
taught earlier, as well as a Web-based message forum for discussion. The URL is
http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu

I've written extensively about computers in the literature classroom; if
you're interested, see my essay "Is There a Class in this Text? Creating
Knowledge in the Electronic Classroom," in E. Barrett, ed., _Sociomedia:
Multimedia, Hypermedia, and the Social Construction of Knowledge_ (MIT
Press, 1992). It's a bit out of date now, but I remain convinced that it
points in the right general direction.

John

At 09:35 PM 4/3/96 -0500, Humanist wrote:
> Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 9, No. 685.
> Center for Electronic Texts in the Humanities (Princeton/Rutgers)
> Information at http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/
>
> [1] From: Carrie Hintz <chintz@epas.utoronto.ca> (12)
> Subject: Re: 9.681 venue for pedagogical meditations?
>
>RE: use of computers in pedagogy
>
>I would like to echo Chuck's request and urge people who know of
>journals interested in reflections on online teaching to pass on these
>references to the whole list. I am working on an essay discussing the
>use of online syllabi and course readings, and would like to know if
>there is a potential audience for this essay (online or otherwise). I would
>also welcome responses from the list about their experiences in using
>the Web as a place to post syllabi, and the use of online readings in
>the classroom.
>
>Carrie Hintz
>English, University of Toronto
>chintz@epas.utoronto.ca

Professor John M. Slatin
Director, Computer Writing & Research Lab
Div. of Rhetoric and Composition and Dept. of English
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712
jslatin@mail.utexas.edu http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu