9.705 bib on narrative in science; thanks for refs.

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 21:57:06 -0400 (EDT)

[1] From: Debra Journet <DSJOUR01@ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU> (31)
Subject: Narrative in the historical sciences

[2] From: Hanna Kahana <kahanah@ashur.cc.biu.ac.il> ( )
Subject: Re: 9.694 item found; Speer as architect

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 18:31:10 -0400
From: Debra Journet <DSJOUR01@ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU>

[The following note I have lifted, with many thanks, from DARWIN-L,
anticipating that several Humanists will find it very useful. --WM]

Professor and Chair, Dept. of English
Phone: 502-852-6801 Fax: 502-852-4182

I work in the rhetoric of science (an English faculty member) and have been
interested in the role of narrative in the physical sciences for a while.
I have found the following (most of which deal with the representation
of narrative) quite useful:

Miller, C. and S. M. Halloran. "Reading Darwin, Reading Nature: Or, on
the Ethos of Historical Science." Understanding Scientific Prose. Ed.
J. Selzer. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1993, 106-126.

Myers, G. Writing Biology: Texts in the Social Construction of Scientific
Knowledge. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1989.

Mitchell, W.J.T., ed. On Narrative. Chicago: University of Chicago Press,
1981. [Essays dealing with narrative in a number of disciplines, including
psychoanalysis, history, anthropology]

These may be outside the interests of Darwin-L readers, but two works which
are useful in showing how representations of Darwinian narratives influenced
larger cultural narratives include

Beer, G. Darwin's Plots. London: Ark, 1983.

Levine, G. Darwin and the Novelists: Patterns of Science in Victorian
Fiction. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1987.

Examples of my own work applying narrative theory to biological texts
include

Journet, Debra. "Ecological Theories as Cultural Narratives: F.E.
Clements's and H. A. Gleason's 'Stories' of Community Succession."
Written Communication. 1991 (8), 446-472.

Journet, Debra. "Synthesizing Disciplinary Narratives: George Gaylord
Simpson's Tempo and Mode in Evolution." Social Epistemology. 1995 (9),
113-150.

Debra Journet
Department of English, University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
dsjour01@ulkyvm.louisville.edu