9.709 cyberjournals: sharing in the sciences

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 22:02:37 -0400 (EDT)

[1] From: Bob Tinker <bob@concord.org> (102)
Subject: Re: Cyberjournals in humanities [COMMENT]

While there is no denying the evils of over-concern on priority in
scientific research, there is another side to it which is quite remarkable:
sharing. Scientific understanding is built through a chain of reasoning
that depends on a thousand different techniques and ideas contributed from
people across entire fields. By putting a premium on priority, science
compensates scientists for quickly and thoroughly sharing their advances
with the profession. One does not see the same kind of sharing outside the
sciences.

>>Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 14:20:06 -0500
>>From: "John F. Reynolds" <jreynold@lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu>

Robert Tinker, The Concord Consortium Educational Technology Lab
37 Thoreau St., Concord, MA 01742
508-369-4367, fax: 508 371-0696
bob@concord.org http://www.concord.org
Revolutionizing education with appropriate technology.