9.723 reading from screen

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 22:43:01 -0400 (EDT)

[1] From: Christine Gilmore <gilmorec@u.washington.edu> (58)
Subject: Re: 9.719 reading from screen

[2] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@utoronto.ca> (31)
Subject: the ghost of Dr. Mesmer?

[3] From: Lynne Taylor <ltaylor@watarts.uwaterloo.ca> (17)
Subject: reading from computer screen

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 11:05:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christine Gilmore <gilmorec@u.washington.edu>

I have to disagree with Dennis Leite here and agree with Fallows. The
reason I think books will never die is because it IS unpleasant reading
from a screen. Aside from the fact that one has to sit up in a chair, the
other problem is the rapid diminishment of one's eyesight (as I now squint
into a tiny screen with tiny white print, writing this message). No
matter how big the monitor, how tiny the dpi, how expensive the special
contact lenses (I need), I prefer to print out things that I wish to read
at my leisure. If it is a short message, fine, but for anything of
length, I prefer paper. In addition, sometimes I like to look at a page
ahead and still see the page I was originally on. This is a rather
cumbersome procedure on a computer. Frankly, I don't think hardware and
CD makers don't realize how much time many of us are forced to sit in
front of a computer screen. Even with frequent breaks, when I'm done
computing for the day, I've a headache and sometimes blurred vision. No,
no. Give me a book anyday.

Ciao, Christine Gilmore