Re: 9.751 e-texts and scholarship

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 14:45:33 -0400 (EDT)

[1] From: Ted Parkinson <parkinsn@mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA> (28)
Subject: Re: 9.751 e-texts and scholarship

[2] From: Richard Tuerk <Richard_Tuerk@etsu.edu> (26)
Subject: etexts and scholarship

[3] From: Dennis Cintra Leite <Dennis@eaesp.fgvsp.br> (53)

[4] From: davidr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (45)
Subject: etexts and scholarhip

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 21:59:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ted Parkinson <parkinsn@mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA>

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Humanist wrote:

> [1] From: "Peter Graham, RUL" <psgraham@gandalf.rutgers.edu> (10)
> Subject: Re: 9.741 e-texts and scholarship
>
> Ted Parkinson said, i.a.,
> >Dissemination is great, but you have changed topics. I don't think
> anyone has said Project Gutenberg is a bad thing; it's quite valuable.<
>
> Could you describe why Project Gutenberg is "quite valuable"? In what way?
> I've understood it to be otherwise, comprising as it does unreliable,
> unattributed, unmarked-up texts. I've pressed M. Hart (its proprietor) for
> information on who uses it and how, but he steadfastly refuses to respond to
> such questions. I wonder if you could help. --pg
>
> Peter Graham psgraham@gandalf.rutgers.edu Rutgers University Libraries
> 169 College Ave., New Brunswick, NJ 08903 (908)445-5908; fax (908)445-5888
> <URL:http://aultnis.rutgers.edu/pghome.html>

Well, I don't mean it's valuable in a scholarly sense; I can't imagine
anyone citing any of these texts in a serious article. However, most
people on the "web" aren't scholars. I've only visited the site a couple
of times, but it contains a large and interesting selection, and I think
it is "valuable" to the average reader wanting to skim through a variety
of texts. I have no idea what percentage of people who download these
works actually read them on their computer. I liken it to a rather
cluttered used book shop, where awful editions abound, only it's not as
dusty.

Ted Parkinson
Department of English
McMaster University parkinsn@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca