9.759 quoting URLs

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Sun, 28 Apr 1996 18:28:05 -0400 (EDT)

[1] From: Al Magary <almagary@cris.com> (62)
Subject: Re: 9.753 Quoting URLs >>citing electronic sources

[2] From: Al Magary <almagary@cris.com> (13)
CORRECTION

[3] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@utoronto.ca> (10)
Subject: Eudora's ability to recognize URLs

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:16:42 -0700
From: Al Magary <almagary@cris.com>

Andrew Burday wrote:
> FWIW, the relevant RFC recommends (but doesn't require) that URLs in a
> plain text context be prefaced with "URL:". (Someone recently pointed
> this out to me; I had been happily ignorant of it for a long time myself.)
> See the appendix to
>
> <URL:http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Addressing/rfc1738.txt><snip>

This citation style originates with Tim Berners-Lee, at the CERN high-energy
physics lab in Switzerland. He may someday bear the title Father of the
World Wide Web, but not, it seems, of Internet bibliographic style. I have
some examples below of what style is evolving in MLA-style citation.

Xia Li and Nancy B. Crane, reference librarians at the University of
Vermont, are two leaders in this field. Their _Electronic Styles: An
Expanded Guide to Citing Electronic Information_ will appear in a new
edition this year. Their concise Web page links to separate concise pages
on MLA (humanities) and APA (scientific) "embellished" styles:
http://www.uvm.edu/~xli/reference/estyles.html

Maurice Crouse at the University of Memphis has more commentary on
electronic bibliography, and in passing suggests that students print hard
copies of transitory electronic information such as email and newsgroup
postings. His Web page:
http://www.people.memphis.edu/~crousem/elcite.html

IAT InfoBits 10/95 included an index of sources on e-style:
http://www.cmns.mnegri.it/WWW_HTML_IT/extern_resources/
citing_internet_ref.html

Li and Crane lay out most of the citation formats in their Web document.
Below are their examples to convey the flavor of MLA-style citations. This
being an email, _underlining_ indicates the traditional underlining or
italics. Note (1) "Available HTTP" and similar are always part of the
citation style; (2) the entire URL or other electronic address is sometimes
on a separate line, to help solve the problem of extra hyphens or spaces
(however, punctilious punctionists as they are, Li and Crane end the URLs
with an awkward period); (3) the access date is always given.

Signing off here, examples below,
Al Magary
almgary@concentric.net

**FOR A BOOK ONLINE:
Pritzker, Thomas J. _An Early Fragment from Central Nepal_. N.D. Online.
Ingress Communications. Available HTTP:
http://www.ingress.com/~astanart/pritzker/pritzker.html. 8 June 1995.

**FOR PART OF A WORK ONLINE:
Daniel, Ralph Thomas. "The History of Western Music." _Britannica Online:
Macropaedia_. 1995. Online. Encyclopedia Britannica. Available HTTP:
http://www.eb.com:180/cgi-bin/g:DocF=macro/5004/45/0.html. 14 June
1995.

**FOR A JOURNAL ARTICLE ONLINE:
Carriveau, Kenneth L., Jr. Rev. of _Environmental Hazards: Marine
Pollution_, by Marth Gonnan. _Environmental Green Journal_ 2.1 (1995): 3
pars. Online. Available Gopher:
gopher://gopher.uidaho.edu/11/UI_gopher/library/egj03/carriv01.html. 21
June 1995.

**FOR A MAGAZINE ARTICLE ONLINE:
Viviano, Frank. "The New Mafia Order." _Mother Jones Magazine_ May-June
1995: 72 pars. Online. Available HTTP:
http://www.mojones.com/MOTHER_JONES/MJ95/viviano.html. 17 July 1995.

**FOR AN ARCHIVED DISCUSSION (MAILING) LIST MESSAGE:
RRECOME. "Top Ten Rules of Film Criticism." 1 Apr. 1995. Online posting.
Discussions on All Forms of Cinema. Available E-mail:
LISTSERV@american.edu/Get cinema-l log9504A. 1 Aug. 1995.

**FOR A PERSONAL ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION (EMAIL):
Day, Martha (MDAY@sage.uvm.edu). "Review of film -- Bad Lieutenant." E-mail
to Xia Li (XLI@moose.uvm.edu). 30 July 1995.