10.0363 books real and virtual

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 20:01:46 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Wendell Piez <piez@rci.rutgers.edu> (23)
Subject: Re: 10.0360 books real and virtual

[2] From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca> (45)
Subject: book & crooks

[3] From: Hope Greenberg <hag@moose.uvm.edu> (46)

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 18:00:35 -0400
From: Wendell Piez <piez@rci.rutgers.edu>

Marta Steele writes:

> I like the point about the facility to write and read on Macs and
> Windows, yet you have to admit the experience differs greatly from
> sitting in front of your hearth, reading a book and scrawling your
> reactions in the margin.

Yes, it does -- one major difference being that when you post _these_ marginal
scrawls, others get to read them, including possibly the author of your
pre-text.

It's as if books were always the playground of the mind, but very much a
sandbox for one until you were admitted into the company of the Big Kids and
were allowed to publish. With the networked computer, anyone can join -- at
least one game or another.

It's true that you can write these notes on your PC and never post them, but
unless the exercise is deliberately introspective (i.e. unless you drop the
pretence that your words will ever reach out), such a practice gets to seem
kind of idiotic (at least in a literal sense of a closed private world). (I say
this not to censure, being prone to it myself.)

Fundamentally, books meant that you could have your reactions, and they were
privately yours. This can be great for those who work to sort things through on
a personal level; but this kind of activity is also one which serves to let us
indulge our prejudices without facing consequences. In e-text, we have a
greater power to respond, i.e. to take responsibility -- and when we do, others
tend to hold us to it. It's a moral exercise of a very different kind.

-- Wendell Piez