10.0380 books

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 19:41:11 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: "Dr. David Harrison" <prospero@pncl.co.uk> (16)
Subject: Re: 10.0377 books and reading

[2] From: Renee Landrum <slandrum@sophia.smith.edu> (26)

[3] From: Roger Brisson <rob1@psu.edu> (61)
Subject: books and reading

[4] From: Ron Tetreault <tetro@is.dal.ca> (17)
Subject: re: books, body and soul

[5] From: Hope Greenberg <hag@zoo.uvm.edu> (29)
Subject: Future of the book, of humanities

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 21:53:14 GMT
From: "Dr. David Harrison" <prospero@pncl.co.uk>

One of the main problems with e-texts is the display technology.

E-texts may well soon function more like books as most folk seem to find it
easier to deal with the design of the book. Remember, the book was designed
as a functional artefact over a long period. Monitor screens are rather new
designs by comparison. In a few years flat white-screen LCD displays with
very high definition and low white luminescence (books don't glow) will make
reading an e-text a lot more like reading a book, perhaps using a
Newton-like virtual book. In the meantime, it amazes me that so few people
design workstations with the monitor built in to the desk, so you look down
on to it.

Although you can increase the font size in an e-text, they just don't have
that nice book smell. :-)

Dr. David Harrison.
Roehampton Institute, London.
http://www.pncl.co.uk/~prospero/ascpart.html