10.0516 e-publishing: aspects and artefacts

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 22:27:00 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: jr19 <James_L_REVEAL@UMAIL.UMD.EDU> (64)
From: DARWIN@iris.uncg.edu
Subject: Proceedings: Nomenclature in the 21st Century (fwd
from TAXACOM)

[2] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (13)
Subject: an online lexicon of the humanities

[3] From: Omar <drummojg@jmu.edu> (20)
Subject: Re: 10.0513 dark is good

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 14:22:00 EST
From: jr19 <James_L_REVEAL@UMAIL.UMD.EDU>
Subject: Proceedings: Biological Nomenclature in 21st Century

[I pass the following along from the excellent DARWIN-L primarily because
of the action taken by the Univ. of Maryland, described below. If anyone
knows more about Maryland's new policy, I am sure Humanists would like to
know as well. --WM]

Proceedings of A Mini-Symposium on
BIOLOGICAL NOMENCLATURE IN THE 21st CENTURY

http://www.life.umd.edu/bees/96sym.html

Edited by James L. Reveal

We are pleased to announce the above electronic publication.

Introduction

In the fall of 1995 the University of Maryland adopted a policy on electronic
publications, treating them as equivalent to printed matter. This, coupled
with the importance of the subject, combined to produce these Proceedings
(http://www.life.umd.edu/bees/96sym.html) of a mini-symposium on biological
nomenclature in the 21st century held at the University of Maryland on 4
November 1996 under the sponsorship of the BEES faculty and the College of
Life Sciences (http://www.life.umd.edu/). With the assistance of seminar
coordinators, Dr. Kenneth P. Sebens and Dr. Charles B. Fenster, I was
permitted to invite Dr. Dan H. Nicolson, Dr. John McNeill, Dr. Richard K.
Brummitt and Dr. Kevin de Queiroz to examine the importance of codes of
scientific nomenclature in the 21st century. In September, abstracts of the
four invited speakers were published electronically and requests were made
for commentaries.

Prompt publication was made possible by the timely submission of
contributions from the four speakers and three individuals who sent
commentaries. To the numerous biologists who took time to review each of
the manuscripts rapidly, and each of the contributors who responded to the
reviewer's remarks promptly - all done electronically - I am most grateful.
This is particularly noteworthy because the usual payment for such labor,
a copy of the final published work, is not the same in this case.

The future of archieving electronic publications is uncertain. Therefore,
individuals are encouraged to make hardcopies of each paper and place them
in libraries for future reference. Furthermore, an electronic version is
being archived by the University of Maryland, and others wishing to do so
are herein granted permission.

With the formal publication of the Proceedings, others wishing to present
comments are urge to do so through TAXACOM.

The effort has been a learning exercise. The product is not entirely
satisfactory, but the task has been interesting and the technology is
improving rapidly. The future of the electronic world, like nomenclature in
the next century, will be intriguing even if it all seems uncertain.

The included papers:

*Introduction
---Opening Remarks by James L. Reveal
---Original Abstracts
*Chapters
---Chapter 1. Animal, Vegetable or Mineral? by Dan H. Nicolson
---Chapter 2. The BioCode: Integrated biological nomenclature in
the 21st century? by John McNeill
---Chapter 3. Quite Happy with the Present Code, Thank You by R. K. Brummitt
---Chapter 4. A Phylogenetic Approach to Biological Nomenclature as an
Alternative to the Linnaean Systems in Current Use by Kevin de Queiroz
*Chapter 5. Commentaries:
-----Commentary 1. Biological Nomenclature by Piero Delprete
-----Commentary 2. Biological Nomenclature by David Frodin
-----Commentary 3. Two Codes in a Dual System? No Thanks by Gea Zijlstra
---Chapter 6. Solutions for Biological Nomenclature by James L. Reveal

Papers presented here should be cited in the following manner:

de Queiroz, K. 1996. "A phylogenetic approach to biological
nomenclature as an alternative to the Linnean systems in
current use." In: J.L. Reveal, ed. Proceedings of a mini-
symposium on biological nomenclature in the 21st century.
University of Maryland: www.life.umd.edu/bees/96sym.html.

James L. Reveal
Department of Plant Biology, University of Maryland,
College Park, Maryland 20742-5815, U.S.A.
jr19@umail.umd.edu