10.0552 keyboard suggestions

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Thu, 26 Dec 1996 09:17:08 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: David Hoover <hoover@is.nyu.edu> (32)
Subject: Re: 10.0543 keyboard problem; on-line lit service?

[2] From: "Craig A. Berry" <craig-berry@nwu.edu> (18)
Subject: Re: 10.0543 keyboard problem

[3] From: Dennis Cintra Leite <Dennis@eaesp.fgvsp.br> (50)

[4] From: Ed Haupt <haupt@email.njin.net> (6)

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 18:43:59 -0500 (EST)
From: David Hoover <hoover@is.nyu.edu>

On Sat, 21 Dec 1996, WILLARD MCCARTY wrote:

> [1] From: Germaine Warkentin <warkent@chass.utoronto.ca> (19)
> >
> This is a ridiculous problem, but in the genial spirit of the season,
> I submit it to HUMANIST. The letters rub off my keyboard! Since I am
> not a touch typist, this is a big problem. In the past I have tried
> replacing them: by drawing new ones with nailpolish (too thick), and
> by sticking on labels with the letters drawn in felt-pen (they wear off).
> I am deeply attached to my keyboard, which has the function keys on the
> left -- the only mechanical apparatus I have ever encountered which
> was suited to left-handers like me. I am also a rather old-fashioned
> person; "make it do" is my motto, and when I am told "hell, throw it
> out and get another," I resist. Perhaps, out there in the vast world
> of computer supplies there is a solution to this ludicrous dilemma,
> but as I prepare yet another set of labels to paste on over the ones I
> put on in October, I wonder, what solution, and where? Merry Christmas
> to all, and do please advise.

> Germaine Warkentin warkent@chass.utoronto.ca
> English, Victoria College, University of Toronto

As one who agrees that IBM's decision to move the function keys to the top
is one of the most perverse ideas to torment computer users, I, too, love
my left-hand function keys and refuse to buy a keyboard without them.
Gatewqy 2000 still sells, I believe, the "Anykey" keyboard with function
keys on the left and the top.

Try <http://www.gw2k.com/product/product.htm>.

David L. Hoover, Assoc. Prof. of Engl. hoover@is.nyu.edu 212-998-8832
Webmaster, NYU English Dept. http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/english/
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."--Groucho Marx