10.0603 modest responses

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 21:27:47 +0000 (GMT)

Subject: not exactly modesty

Subject: Re: 10.0602 unknown genre?

[11] From: Lenoble Michel <lenoblem@ERE.UMontreal.CA> (19)

[12] From: Marta Steele <Marta_Steele@Pupress.Princeton.Edu> (11)
Subject: the elegant "useless"?

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 21:14:29 +0000
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>
Subject: not modesty

My thanks to all the replies to my query in Humanist 10.602 about naming a
kind of writing that seeks to explain why an author cannot address a given
topic. Most of the suggestions point to the "affected modesty" topic,
described for example by Curtius in <cite>European Literature and the Latin
Middle Ages</cite> 5.3 (pp. 83-5). The objective, Curtius notes, is to put
the listener in a favourable state of mind through a modest presence, which
the orator must draw attention to, thus rendering any such modesty affected.
The topic extends to writing in which the author claims that his or her
language is artless, unaffected, or unschooled or assures us that the work
is undertaken in fear and trembling. It can be confused with the "devotional
formula", in which the author abases himself, so that submission and
incapacity are identified. The author may claim, truthfully or otherwise,
that the work was commanded, and so its composition or performance is
compelled, merely an act of obedience.

What I have in mind verges on "affected modesty" where it is a declaration
of submission and incapacity, as for example when a speaker or writer agrees
to undertake a topic (i.e. submits to a request and so is bound by
obligation), then finds that he or she cannot comply (discovers incapacity).
What is crucial to the form I am seeking to name is that the explanation of
incapacity itself becomes a significant contribution to the topic. The
author does not dismiss the assigned topic as nonsense but cogently studies
why a satisfactory response is not possible.

Any further ideas?

Thanks to Michel Lenoble for the reference to Berbard Dupriez, "Gradus";
Eric Lerner for suggesting the Preface to Wittgenstein's Philosophical
Investigations, Ned Muhovich for Tristram Shandy, and Marta Steele for bits
from Virgil's Aeneid and Ovid's Met.; Craig Berry, Tom Dillingham, Sarah
Higley, Fred Levy, Ted Parkinson, Gary Shawver, and Michael Sperberg-McQueen
for the pointer to "affected modesty" (occupatio, praeteritio). It's been
too long since I last read Tristram Shandy for me to recall how well it
might fit; Wittgenstein's Preface comes close. All the replies mentioned
here are included below.

Thanks again.

Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kis/schools/hums/ruhc/wlm/