10.0648 computers and writing style

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 00:07:01 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Domenico Fiormonte <ITADFP@srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk> (63)
Subject: computers & writing style

[2] From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@mdah.state.ms.us> (7)
Subject: Re: 10.0645 computers & writing style?

[3] From: Emily Rose <erose@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> (5)

[4] From: "Dr. Joel Goldfield" <joel@funrsc.fairfield.edu> (13)

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 22:33:16 +0000
From: Domenico Fiormonte <ITADFP@srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk>

[The following is a copy to Humanist of a note sent to the Montreal
journalist who enquired about the effects of the computer on writing
style. I have not passed on to Humanist Dr. Fiormonte's additional
material, which I presume he would be willing to share with anyone who
might write to him directly. --WM]

I have been studying the influence of computer on literary writing
since 1990, and I wrote my "laurea" thesis at the University of Rome
on this subject. ("The Influence of Computer on Literary Writing:
Case Studies of Three Italian Authors", Rome, April 19 1994).
Unfortunately, all my 4 publications are written in Italian --though
I studied the phenomenon of computer
writing broadly, interviewing authors from Italy, Spain, USA, and now
UK. I spent last year at Michigan Tech University, where I focused
on the rhetoric of the electronic text (Cindy Selfe),
the history of literary production and literary tools (Bill Powers),
etc. This summer I won a Spanish government scholarship on
Computers, Linguistics and Literature, and I had the unique
opportuniy to interview some of the best Spanish contemporary
authors.
Currently, my PhD project at U. of Edinburgh consists in
building a digital archive of textual variants from contemporary
Spanish and Italian writers.

I'll do two things for you:
1) I'll e-mail you my latest Italian paper (whose significant title
is "The Electronic Writing Anthology (and Archeology): Three
Stages of a Work in Progress")

In spite of the fact that it is written in Italian, there are a number of
long quotes in English (Kurt Vonnegut, etc.), Spanish, French, etc.
and an International bibliography which could be helpful.

2) I'll send you a DRAFT of an English version of my first published piece
"Case Studies of Computerized Writers" (be pitiful with this, it's
just a draft!)

IMPORTANT: BOTH files are written in Winword 2, and I am sending them
through Basic-Mime encoding -- let me know if this works.

Besides, you can visit my home page, where you can find also an ENGLISH
(feeew!) abstract of my thesis:
http://www.ed.ac.uk/~esit04/italian.htm

http://www.ed.ac.uk/~esit04/case_st.htm
[this the abstract]

Best wishes

Domenico Fiormonte
University of Edinburgh, Dept. of Italian
David Hume Tower, George Square
EH8 9JX -- United Kingdom

Fax: 131-650-6536
E-mail: itadfp@srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk
http://www.ed.ac.uk/~esit04/italian.htm

<<Si Dios no fuese Dios, seria el Rey
de las Espanas, y el Rey de Francia su cocinero>>