10.0651 queries

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 00:05:40 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: "H-CLC (BD)" <bdiederi@ucsd.edu> (18)
Subject: Computers and the changing fashions of literary
criticism?

[2] From: Frances Rasmussen <frasmuss@calvin.linfield.edu> (17)
Subject: Question for HUMANIST members

[3] From: Gloria McMillan <gmcmillan@east.pima.edu> (20)
Subject: My project on _Dracula_ (TEI-tagged etext)

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 22:37:45 -0800
From: "H-CLC (BD)" <bdiederi@ucsd.edu>
Subject: Computers and the changing fashions of literary criticism?

In his article about computers and literary criticism (_L'Ordinateur et la
critique litteraire: du golem a la textualite cybernetique_ in
_Litterature_ 96 (1994) pp. 6-18), Paul Delany links the use of computers
in literary studies to the development of the computer, of course, but
mainly to the changing fashions in literary criticism. I have been
wondering about this before: why are there no recent new studies by many
researchers who have published very interesting work using computer methods
in the 1970s and 1980s?
More generally: why do people get into literary computing, and why do they
give it up? Is it the fashions of literary criticism; is literary computing
just a methodology to answer one specific question, and when that question
is answered, there is no further use for the methodology; or is it
university politics; is it frustration with the methodology; or ...?
Of course, it would also be great to hear the opposite perspective: why do
people continue working in the field of literary computing, how did the
computer keep up with your evolving views of literary theory, and how do
you combine both in your teaching?

Barbara Diederichs
bdiederi@ucsd.edu