10.0686 WWW stylistics: frames &c.

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 14:00:19 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: omar <drummojg@jmu.edu> (23)
Subject: Re: 10.0676 capturing text? frames?

[2] From: "P.B.Cox -Peter Cox" <P.B.Cox@open.ac.uk> (17)
Subject: RE: 10.0676 frames?

[3] From: Gary Shawver <gshawver@chass.utoronto.ca> (21)
Subject: Re: 10.0679 Web style and courtesy: frames &c.

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 22:35:50 -0500 (EST)
From: omar <drummojg@jmu.edu>

On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, WILLARD MCCARTY wrote:

>I need to know if it is now considered prudent to design a set of web
>pages that use frames but do not offer a "noframes" option. For
>design of web pages, it is an interesting question in general when
>one avoids the most advanced features in consideration of those whose
>browsers are not capable of them. Any wisdom about these matters
>would be most welcome.
>
>WM

At this point in the history of the Web, I'd have to say no. The rate
of progress in the computing market has led to an inevitable variety of
computers out there; people browsing the Web are using everything from
the newest release of Netscape 4.0/Communicator to Lynx (text only).

I don't even think we're at the point where it's OK to have images
without an ALT text supplied. I often use a text-only browser for speed.
And if you use frames, please set the sizes -- nothing in the world
annoys me like having to scroll from side to side. But then, that's
off topic. (And yes, lynx /does/ have frames support now, but it's
a real pain.)

-John Drummond
James Madison University
English Department GA -- computing assistance x7074
ILR Computing Support HelpDesk consultant x3555