10.0739 e-publishing; translation

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 10:53:36 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (24)
Subject: electronic publishing

[2] From: sgolden@cc.uab.es (Sean Golden) (45)
From: "H-CLC (BD)" <bdiederi@ucsd.edu>
Subject: On-line Translation Colloquium

[3] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (1)
Subject: multiple virtual journals in physics

[4] From: "Charles L. Creegan" <ccreegan@ncwc.edu> (17)
Subject: virtual library?

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 10:27:35 +0000
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>

On 31 January the Centre for English Studies, University of London, in
collaboration with the Office for Humanities Communication, held a one-day
conference here entitled "Electronic Publishing". The Web page for the
conference, at the URL

<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kis/schools/hums/ruhc/ohc/9701-conference.html>

has subsequently become a record of the event and venue for publishing the
papers, two of which are now online, mine and John Unsworth's. Linked to my
paper is an "Overview of electronic publication", at the URL

<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kis/schools/hums/ruhc/ohc/overview.html>

about which comments would be welcome. Please note: however finished it may
look, the Overview is still only a rough draft of an attempt to classify the
variety of things we find online. I'm especially interested in examples
which violate the tentative categories I've defined, or which fill out
underpopulated ones. I am not attempting to be exhaustive within a category,
only to define and illustrate categories, nor am I attempting to identify
the "best" pages.

Thanks for any assistance.

Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kis/schools/hums/ruhc/wlm/

--[2]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:05:20 +0000
From: sgolden@cc.uab.es (Sean Golden)

[This passed along from H-CLC, with many thanks, because (I would and have
argued), markup is akin to translation. --WM]

The Faculty of Translation at the Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona is
pleased to announce its first on-line international translation colloquium.
This first edition, devoted to the subject of intercultural transfer, is a
pilot project for future academic activities and participation is free of
charge.

There are two invited speakers, each of whom has prepared a set of position
papers on the topic: Doug Robinson (author of *THE TRANSLATOR'S TURN*,
*TRANSLATION AND TABOO*) and Anthony Pym (author of *TRANSLATION AND TEXT
TRANSFER*, *EPISTEMOLOGICAL PROBLEMS IN TRANSLATION AND ITS TEACHING*).

Michael Cronin (author of *TRANSLATING IRELAND: TRANSLATION, LANGUAGES,
CULTURES*) will act as Respondent in order to begin the discussion.

The on-line colloquium has a Web site where the position papers and the
response may be consulted. This site also includes bio-bibliographical
information on the speakers, as well as more information about the
colloquium, the Faculty of Translation, the Universitat Autonoma de
Barcelona, and links to resources for translators. The site for the
colloquium is located at:

http://cc.uab.es/~iuts0/colloquium.html

Please note that <~iuts0> ends with a zero, not with the letter 'o'.

Since the colloquium's Web pages include graphic elements that could
prolong their loading time, you may want to disable the 'IMAGE' control on
your Web browser. (The position papers by Anthony Pym do include graphics
that are pertinent, however.)

Participation in the on-line colloquium will be carried out on the list
TRANSFER-L that has been created for that purpose. To subscribe to this
list, send the following message to <mailserv@cc.uab.es>:

SUBSCRIBE TRANSFER-L <YourFirstName YourLastName>

Once you have received confirmation of your subscription, you may send
messages to <transfer-l@cc.uab.es>, and you will automatically receive all
new messages sent to the list. A record of all message received will be
maintained on a specific Web page at the colloquium site, on an
accumulative basis.

Participants may send their comments and questions to the invited speakers
by means of the TRANSFER-L list, and the speakers will respond by the same
means. Everyone subscribed to the list will receive these messages. If you
wish to leave the list, send the following message to <mailserv@cc.uab.es>:

UNSUBSCRIBE TRANSFER-L

Please remember to send COMMANDS (e.g. SUBSCRIBE, UNSUBSCRIBE, HELP) to
<mailserv@cc.uab.es> and MESSAGES to <transfer-l@cc.uab.es>.

This on-line colloquium will open formally on 5 March 1997, and it will
close formally on 14 March 1997.

Sean Golden, Dean, Facultat de Traduccio
Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
08193 Bellaterra, BARCELONA, Spain
Tel: 34 3 5811374 FAX: 34 3 5811037
e-mail: sgolden@cc.uab.es