10.0764 queries technical & administrative

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 08:34:05 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (23)
Subject: dialup with callback under Windows NT

[2] From: Peter Liddell <pgl@uvic.ca> (15)
Subject: Re: virtual exams

[3] From: Elisabeth Burr <Elisabeth.Burr@UNIDUI.UNI- (58)
DUISBURG.DE>
Subject: Memory-Problems - Partial Solution

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 08:22:16 +0000
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>

I hope some Humanist is sufficiently up to the minute in OSs (no, not
espionage) to know the answer to a dilemma I have pickled myself into.

I need step-by-step instructions in how to configure Windows NT to handle a
modem connection with callback. (Callback is a scheme, useful in countries
where every call is charged per unit time, to get the charges attributed to
one's service provider. You call the service, log in, give your phone
number, disconnect, and it rings you back and completes the connection, in
my case for ppp.) The modem has to be told before it dials to pick up the
next call (i.e. S00=1), to set the "guard tone", etc. It also has to be told
when one hangs up NOT to pick up the next call (i.e. S00=0) or every caller
thereafter, when one's computer is on, will get an unpleasant blast in the ear.

I know about the command_init string in modem.inf and about rasphone.hlp,
but perhaps I only know about these things because I didn't understand how
to get through the menus and am now having trouble from RAS, which cannot
find one of its dlls, or something like that. Oi! (No sniggers from the Mac
crowd, please. Configuring a Mac for ppp ain't that easy, and we PC types
like getting under the hood and tinkering, don't we?)

Thanks.

Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kis/schools/hums/ruhc/wlm/