10.0791 imaging hardware and software

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:41:22 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Nico Weenink <noki@worldonline.nl> (42)
Subject: RE: 10.0757 imaging hardware and software?

In my last query on this message I recommended Adobe Photoshop and
CorelDraw 5 as software. There are just a few things I would like to
say/remind you of. CorelDraw 5 is not as stabile as Adobe Photoshop. It
often happens that the computer simply stops working. The only option you
have then is: close all programms, turn down your computer and start
again. On the other hand: CorelDraw is quite an easy program to work with
and it has lots of great tools.

> The particular aspect of the project of most concern at the moment
involves
> viewing files up to about 1 MB or so and manipulating them to some
degree,
> e.g. changing brightness and contrast, enlarging portions, excising
parts,
> and the like. At the moment nothing very much more sophisticated than
that
> is envisioned. The images are of manuscripts. For present purposes we
assume
> no control over the production of the images, but these are of reasonably
> high quality.

> Hardware. My inclination would be to recommend a 200MHz Pentium system,
32MB
> RAM, with a fast video card containing at least 4 MB onboard RAM, and a
> 17-inch monitor. The primary question here to my mind is the brand and
> characteristics of the video card. Your opinions, please.

The 200MHz Pentium will do, but maybe it's better to use 64MB RAM when you
are going to use CorelDraw and a scanner (for instance the Hewlett Packard
HP4P). If you are running Windows, CorelDraw AND scannersoftware the system
probably will going to stutter a little. Besides: working with 64MB RAM
will be much faster.
Most of the time scanners are sold with a whole bunch of software and tools
for free (!). Maybe it's handy to compare prices of both software and
scanners with software.

Good luck,

Nico Weenink
University of Utrecht