10.0789 humane technology

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:42:43 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: MNIELSEN34@aol.com (25)
Subject: Re: 10.0780 humane technology

[2] From: Jascha Kessler <jkessler@ucla.edu> (27)

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 13:46:49 -0500 (EST)
From: MNIELSEN34@aol.com

Dr. McCarty (& other seminar members) -

Thank you, first off, for the tips about the Raymond Tallis and B.
Holtzman-Kevles books reviewed in the Times Literary Supplement. I may find
these sources very helpful in my own work. Also -- and please pardon my
inexperience in this realm of research and literary criticism -- it was not
clear to me whether you were referring to a supplement to a European "Times"
or whether the review is in the New York Times. Please clarify if possible.

Secondly, I have a comment regarding your (or Tallis') assertion that
"Science and humanity, kindness and cure, can work hand in hand." While in
principle, I wholeheartedly agree with this philosophy as one that can
humanely guide medical research and technology, I need to make a distinction
between long-term ideals and realistic daily practice in the field of
medicine. Politically and theologically speaking, I find it hard to believe,
even if science and humanity *can* work hand in hand, that they actually will
on a consistent basis.

The modern -- at least modern American -- developments in medicine are driven
very much by profit-motive. I see history's lessons as teaching us that
profit-motive -- among other problems that it raises -- too often runs
counter to the needs of the majority of any population. Though it may sound
crass and shallow, as a Christian and a bit of a Marxist I feel most of us
would be "better off dead" than subjected to the whims of the scientfic and
economic juggernaut that is modern medicine. In short, the time is upon us
when we must ask: How far is too far?

For a cogent analysis of some of these ethical/theological problems -- one
not colored by the recent New Age influences -- I recommend "The
Technological Bluff" by Jacques Ellul (Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1990).