10.0824 times & standards

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 21:55:23 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@VMA.SMSU.EDU> (67)
Subject: Re: 10.0819 o tempora o mores

[2] From: Mary Dee Harris <mdharris@acm.org> (9)

[3] From: alan harris <vcspc005@email.csun.edu> (69)
Subject: the state of things

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 97 07:41:14 CST
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@VMA.SMSU.EDU>

Some comments in response to Willard's friendly posting of the
Washington Post article on the apparently dreadful state of higher
education in the U.S.

While Matthews says much that coheres with my experience as a teacher
in a largely liberal arts setting for nearly two decades (Lord! how
did I ever get to be _that_ old?) - I think she oversimplifies
regarding the now familiar claim that our print-culture faculty are
increasingly unable to reach students conditioned by an extravagently
wired world.

This semester I have used Web-based materials rather intensively, on
the assumption that my students are indeed Web- and computer-literate
-- only to get responses such as the following:

"I hate the Web! I can never find that stuff you tell us to look at..."
Particularly stunning was the result of my posting a Web page which
listed the names of various informal fallacies under study in my logic/
critical thinking class - with each name linked to a description of the
fallacy and several examples. Each name, accordingly, appears in the
color identifying a link, and is underlined as well - if ever there were
a universal icon for a link marker on the Web, I would have thought this
was it.

I was not overly surprised when a faculty member told me that he had looked
at the site, and didn't find the list of names very helpful - i.e., he
did not recognize that the names were link markers. But when several
of my allegedly Web-literate students told me the same thing, I began
to doubt the easy assumption I had made regarding their ability to
read Web documents.

In general, experiences such as these, along with other considerations
suggested by the available literature, collegial comments, etc. have
moved me from ardent enthusiasm for the new media as an exciting,
or at least culturally-mandated next phase for education and dialogue
to a somewhat chastened, more cautious, somewhat skeptical posture.
Does making important information available to our students through the
click of a mouse on a work or concept linked to greater explanation better
scholars more likely to explore such important connections when they
encounter these in print media (in the form of words they need to look
up in a dictionary, footnotes and references they need to pursue, etc.)
- or simply lazier souls who are even less likely to pursue such connections
if they are _not_ hyperlinked already for them by some well-meaning
faculty member? Are students made better researchers by the increasingly
civilized and organized world of scholarly resources available on the
Web - or are they led to believe that "research" amounts to generating
an impressive bibliography of materials from a computer database, materials
they've not bothered to pursue because the computer couldn't deliver
the full text of the article cited? I'd be curious to know what
other HUMANIST readers find in their experience - but my experience
inclines me more and more to find the second responses more accurate
than the first.

All of which is to say that the dichotomy between print-culture faculty
and Web- and computer-literate students seems too simple - and there may
be reason to believe (hope?) that the apparently inevitable transmediation
of higher education into cyberspace is not so inevitable. If we find
that much of the technology simply doesn't deliver on its promise, and
that faculty and students are often equally illiterate in both print and
electronic domains - enough of us may move to a less gushing embrace of
the Bill Gates/Nicholas Negroponte "resistance is futile" vision of a
social and educational future driven by largely corporate interests,
towards a more nuanced ability to use these tools appropriately and
effectively in humane education.

It's Easter...one can always hope for resurrections.

Cheers and best wishes,
Charles Ess "...for the struggle to be good rather
Drury College than bad is important, Glaucon, much
Springfield, MO 65802 USA more important than people think.
Therefore, we mustn't be tempted by
honor, money, rule, or even poetry
into neglecting justice and the rest
of virtue."