10.0827 Utne Reader for the digitally inclined

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 21:57:12 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: mgk3k@faraday.clas.virginia.edu (38)
Subject: Re: 10.0820 Wired & libraries

Niels P. Mayer writes:

> It would be wonderful if
>there was a "humanist" centered version of Wired -- an "Utne Reader"
>for the digitally inclined.

In fact, I know of a couple (and I'm sure Humanists will be able to suggest
others).

"Edupage" is an e-digest/broadsheet distributed three times a week:

>Edupage ... is what you've just finished reading. To subscribe to Edupage:
>send mail to: listproc@educom.unc.edu with the message: subscribe edupage
>Stephen Potter (if your name is Stephen Potter; otherwise, substitute your
>own name). To unsubscribe send a message to: listproc@educom.unc.edu with
>the message: unsubscribe edupage. (If you have subscription problems, send
>mail to manager@educom.unc.edu.)

Current Cites abstracts articles and resources dealing with electronic
publishing, and is issued once a month:

>Current Cites 8(3) (March 1997) ISSN: 1060-2356 Copyright (C) 1997 by
> the Library, University of California, Berkeley. _All rights reserved._
> All product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their
> respective holders. Mention of a product in this publication does not
> necessarily imply endorsement of the product.
> [URL:http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/CurrentCites/]
> To subscribe, send the message "sub cites [your name]" to
> listserv@library.berkeley.edu, replacing "[your name]" with your
> name. Copying is permitted for noncommercial use by computerized
> bulletin board/conference systems, individual scholars, and libraries.
> Libraries are authorized to add the journal to their collections at no
> cost. An archive site is maintained at ftp.lib.berkeley.edu in
> directory /pub/Current.Cites [URL:
> ftp://ftp.lib.berkeley.edu/pub/Current.Cites]. This message must
> appear on copied material. All commercial use requires permission from
> the editor, who may be reached in the following ways:
> trinne@library.berkeley.edu // (510)642-8173

Neither of these reminds me much of Wired, but both of them are excellent
resources, IMO.

--Matt
Matthew G. Kirschenbaum University of Virginia
mgk3k@virginia.edu Department of English
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/~mgk3k/ Electronic Text Center