10.0857 CDs? NotaBene? multimedia poetry?

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 23:08:04 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Hartmut Krech <kr538@zfn.uni-bremen.de> (21)
Subject: CDs?

[2] From: gaichele@adrian.adrian.edu (7)
Subject: NotaBene file conversion

[3] From: FOITJA@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (13)
Subject: multi-media poetry

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 09:59:30 +0200
From: Hartmut Krech <kr538@zfn.uni-bremen.de>

From: kr538@zfn.uni-bremen.de (Hartmut Krech)

The preservation of documents for posterity has always been a
primary concen of humanists. CD-ROM burning technology seems
to offer the long-awaited solution to many conservation and
preservation problems. But, while information on commercially
available CD-Rs is stored by a process of physical impact and
ideally will not change through time except due to physical
force, home-burnt CDs are recorded by a process employing dyes
which are more easily subject to alteration, as we all know.
Therefore a durability of between ten and one hundred years
is given for home-burnt CD-Rs.

My questions to list members who are more knowledgable than I am:
are there any external criteria by which one can identify high-
quality CD-Rs of high durability, disregarding brand name and
price, which are no guarantees whatsoever ? What should buyers
look for ? As with all photographic materials, dyes may fade
even in darkness, though slower. Is storing temperature worth
considering as well ?

Thank you for any relevant information.

Dr. Hartmut Krech
Bremen, Germany