10.0869 God in the details

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 23:22:36 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: "Randall L. Jones" <Randall_Jones@byu.edu> (3)
Subject: Re: 10.0856 Detail, but still no solution

[2] From: "trunk@usa1.com" <trunk@usa1.com> (8)
Subject: details

[3] From: Sally M Roberts <sroberts@merle.acns.nwu.edu> (44)

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:36:23 -0700 (MST)
From: "Randall L. Jones" <Randall_Jones@byu.edu>

It probably wasn't Goethe, at least it's not in the Hamburger
Ausgabe.

Randall Jones
Brigham Young University

--[2]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 14:47:57 +0000
From: "trunk@usa1.com" <trunk@usa1.com>

The latest edition of Bartlett's Familiar Quotations recognizes "God
is in the details" as a favorite aphorism of Mies van der Rohe and
the art historian Aby Warburg. The origin, however, is unknown
although it has been attributed to Flaubert (Le bon Dieu est dans le
detail) but without verification.

John Dorenkamp
trunk@usa1.com