10.0879 Silk Road; God in the details

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 21:53:27 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Mary Ellen Foley <mef@NETCOM.COM> (22)
Subject: Re: 10.0861 Silk Road online

[2] From: Jascha Kessler <jkessler@ucla.edu> (5)
Subject: Re: 10.0869 God in the details

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:36:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mary Ellen Foley <mef@NETCOM.COM>

Willard McCarty, listmaster extraordinaire, suggested readers here would
like to have the URL for the Silk Road camel caravan that I mentioned
here earlier. It's http://silkroad.turk.net/OverView.html, and the e-mail
address is silkroad@turk.net.

The last English-language journal entry posted is dated last September,
although last June they reported they had over a year to go. Perhaps
they're still out there, but their communications technology has let
them down. This is a UNESCO-sponsored venture, so I assume they have
adequate support and can be retrieved if they get into serious trouble.
Or perhaps there were more entries and I didn't look far enough -- no
time right now.

In the "wonders and dangers of the web" department: I first found this
site when researching 1930s American radio, looking for any information
on a program called Camel Caravan. The persistent problem of being
sidetracked by fascinating things you find when you're looking for
something else seems particularly acute on the web.

--
WARNING!!   Opinions in posting are farther away than they appear
^^^^^^^^^

--[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 15:59:55 -0700 From: Jascha Kessler <jkessler@ucla.edu> Subject: Re: 10.0869 God in the details

And here one had always thought it was the Devil who was in the details. aka small print, bottom line, and Faustus. Jascha Kessler

Jascha Kessler Professor of English & Modern Literature, UCLA Telephone/Facsimile: (310) 393-4648