10.0908 announcements diverse & interesting

Willard McCarty (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 21:14:06 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: David Green <david@cni.org> (111)
Subject: SENATE HEARING ON REAUTHORIZATION OF NEA & NEH

[2] From: David Green <david@cni.org> (118)
Subject: NEXT GENERATION INTERNET: COMMENTS INVITED

[3] From: "Nancy M. Ide" <ide@cs.vassar.edu> (45)
Subject: Journal: Computers and the Humanities Vol 30 No 4 :

[4] From: Philip Bernick <pbernick@crl.nmsu.edu> (10)
Subject: Re: New Corpus from the Linguistic Data Consortium

[5] From: LDC Office <ldc@unagi.cis.upenn.edu> (59)
Subject: New corpus

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 19:25:42 -0400
From: David Green <david@cni.org>

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
April 27, 1997

SENATE HEARING ON REAUTHORIZATION OF NEA & NEH

Please forgive any duplication and the length of this posting, but I felt
many members would find interesting and useful this account in the NCC
Washington Update of today's Senate Hearings on the reauthorization of the
Endowments.

David Green

NCC Washington Update, vol. 3, # 17, April 29, 1997
by Page Putnam Miller, Director of the National Coordinating
Committee for the Promotion of History <pagem@capaccess.org>

SENATE HEARING ON REAUTHORIZATION OF NEA & NEH

On April 29 the
Senate Committee on Labor and Human Resources held a hearing to consider
reauthorization of the National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities.

Senator James Jeffords (R-VT), chair of the committee, opened the hearing
by stating that the intent of this hearing is to cover the issue of
reauthorization with a broad brush and to focus particularly on education.
"Both agencies," he stated, "have great potential to enhance and improve
the educational opportunities for the people of our nation." Jeffords
lamented that Congress spends too much time discussing controversial
grants and not enough on the agencies' meaningful accomplishments, such
the educational programs. In the last Congress, Jeffords noted the
Senate passed by a bi-partisan vote of 12 to 4 a reauthorization bill that
aimed at tightening up the administration of both agencies, closing
loopholes, and streamlining functions. "It is legislation," he said,
"that I hope that we can use as a basis for discussion this year." He
ended his opening statement by saying that he was confident that this
Congress would move forward on reauthorization legislation for the
endowments.

This lengthy hearing consisted not only of remarks by the eight Senators
who attended but also of testimony from two panels -- one made up of the
heads of the endowments and the other of witnesses testifying about
successful endowment funded educational projects. Sheldon Hackney, Chair
of NEH, and Jane Alexander, Chair of NEA, summarized their testimony and
spent more of their time responding to Senators comments and questions on
a wide range of issues.

Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA), the ranking minority member of the committee,
stressed that these small agencies had a crucial impact on the arts and
humanities of the country and that a few controversial grants shouldn't
warrant the elimination of the endowments. Senator John Warner (R-VA)
complimented the two chairs of the endowments and said they had brought
their agencies enhanced credibility. Senator Jeff Bingaman (D-NM)
emphasized the positive role of the endowments in his state and called for
new exploration of ways that the endowments' educational work could
relate to Headstart programs. Senator Jack Reed (D-RI) commented on the
indispensable role of the endowments in economic development as cultural
and heritage tourism gain increased momentum. Mike DeWine (R-OH) restated
a point that he has been making over the last several years which is that
in a time of reduced resources the endowments priorities need to be on the
underserved in our population, particularly children and rural areas.

After recognizing the key role of the endowments, Senator Christopher Dodd
(D-CT) presented again his idea for building a true endowment for these
agencies, an idea that he has been promoting for the last several years.
His plan calls for expired copyrights to be auctioned for a period of
perhaps 10 years and for the funds from the auction to build an endowment
for the NEH and NEA. He noted that the Copyright Office had been somewhat
hostile to this idea but that he was going to continue to pursue it and
would be seeking cosponsors.

Senator Tim Hutchinson (R-ARK) voiced the only criticism of the hearing,
and his remarks were directed only at NEA. In sharply worded comments and
questions he attacked the high administrative costs of NEA, the fiscal
problems of the NEA, and the failure of NEA to respond within a year to an
Inspector General's report. Hutchinson stated that no federal dollars
should be spent on NEA and that the argument that NEA funds are a catalyst
for securing private funds is a bogus one for private funding for the arts
has increased even when NEA's funds have been cut. No responses to these
criticisms by either Senators or witnesses were able to change
Hutchinson's firmly held views on these matters.

The panel on exemplary education projects consisted of Dr. Edward Ayers,
Professor of History at the University of Virginia; Dr. Victor Swenson,
Executive Director of the Vermont Council on the Humanities; Mr. Jeff
Hooper, Founder and Director of the Mad River Theater Works in Ohio; and
Ms. Alicia Dandridge, a 6th grade teacher in a Washington, DC school.

Ayers and Swenson addressed NEH funded projects. Ayers, project director
of the "Valley of the Shadow Project: Two American Communities in the Era
of the Civil War", gave a demonstration and talked about how this project
reaches thousands of people every week who visit the WEB site of the
Valley Project to look at evidence and to draw their own conclusions about
the Civil War. By perusing diaries, letters, slave census, newspapers,
church records, photographs, and many other surviving documents, visitors
to the WEB site are able to gain knowledge first hand about the Civil War
and to sift through quantities of evidence with a powerful yet simple
computer tool. Ayers noted that the project has received many positive
the Valley Project write better papers and ask more insightful questions.
Senator Jeffords applauded this use of technology to make history come
alive and said he was "excited by what you have shown us." Ayers
concluded by noting that there is no way to recover costs of making this
vast range of documents available to people around the world and that it
was too big a project, with too many people involved, to have undertaken
with NEH support.

Swenson talked about a variety of programs that the Vermont Council on the
Humanities have sponsored to tackle the thorny problem of illiteracy. One
program, "Never Too Early: Teaching the Earliest Teachers," provides
training on reading to children for people engaged in child care programs
for the very young. "Our approach to literacy through the humanities in
Vermont," Swenson said, "depends on a central love of books and reading
and on intense cooperation among many agencies, organizations and devoted
individuals." The Vermont Council also sponsors programs on adult
literacy and has a program for teen mothers to show them the ways of
reading to babies and toddlers. Swenson concluded by stating that they
have discovered that "if reading is central to the humanities, it is
equally true that the humanities are central to reading." Jeffords had
high praise for the state councils' literacy programs.

NCC invites you to redistribute the NCC Washington Updates.
A complete backfile of these reports is maintained by H-Net.
See World Wide Web: http://h-net.msu.edu/~ncc/