11.0030 Deep Blue, human intelligence, and AI

Thu, 15 May 1997 18:26:05 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Jascha Kessler <jkessler@ucla.edu> (15)
Subject: Deep? Blue

[2] From: Chris Floyd <cfloyd@carmen.murdoch.edu.au> (66)
Subject: Deep Blue, human intelligence, AI and Larry Taylor

[3] From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@mdah.state.ms.us> (14)
Subject: Re: 11.0022 Deep Blue, human intelligence and AI

Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 12:04:15 -0700
From: Jascha Kessler <jkessler@ucla.edu>

HennyPenny, the sky is falling! Not so, perhaps.
It seems to me, and I have remarked on this phenomenon before, but seem not
to have succeeded in getting my observations posted, ever...that... the
first time one of our species flaked a flint cat meat from a bone, instead
of tearing it with the teeth, we, yes we, were on the road that leads to
comuter chess games and beyond. the wheel didnt remove the necessity for
infants to learn to walk and run, and dance, etc. Why do "Humanists" get
upset by machines? Edgar Allan Poe would have loved this all. He had a
dwarf inside his chess playing machine! Who are the dwarfs behind Deep
Blue?
Jascha Kessler

Jascha Kessler
Telephone/Facsimile: (310) 393-4648