11.0032 spamming and pushing

Thu, 15 May 1997 18:28:14 +0100 (BST)

Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 08:24:49 -0500
From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@mdah.state.ms.us>
Subject: spamming

Sorry to come in late on this, as I was out of town; but in the
"internet press" lately we have all been reading huge amounts of hype
about "push technology" (which IMHO just looks like cleverly targeted
spam) like Pointcast that people will supposedly "want"---surely the
reason we all are turning to the Internet is because we are tired of
having things pushed into our faces and are enjoying the (very
ancient!) challenge of going out and looking for what we want? I
thought it was the "pull" model that made the Internet so attractive
to people. If we hate the deluge of junk mail pouring through our
letter slots and causing our mailboxes to fall off the wall every day,
why would marketers think we could be made to want spam?
Pat Galloway
MS Dept of Archives and History