11.0050 pre-conference paper online, with gizmo

Tue, 20 May 1997 21:22:23 +0100 (BST)

Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 07:55:17 +0100
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>
Subject: pre-conference virtual paper

Continuing to experiment with our common medium, I have put online my paper
for the upcoming ACH/ALLC conference, "Theft of fire: meaning in the markup
of names". This paper is meant to accompany the online tutorial for my
research project, "Ovid in the metatext: an exercise in close reading
through tags". This paper is my attempt, however feeble or strong you may
judge, to come to terms with the implications of markup for literary
critical research as a whole and Ovidian studies in particular. Much of it
necessarily has to introduce the project itself, and being designed for
presentation within a narrow slot of time it is quite cursory. Nevertheless,
I would appreciate all comments on the form as well as content.

See, and I hope enjoy, at
<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/Onomasticon/theft/> (Europe)
<http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~mccarty/Onomasticon/theft/> (the Americas
& beyond)

One of my objectives is to stir up debate on how its sort of thing might be
done most effectively. I realise that it is, as it stands, very fiddly,
requiring too many mouse-clicks and, alas, demanding a browser on the
relatively high end of things. But the paper and tutorial demand nothing
more than frames and a little Java script running on freely available,
cross-platformed software -- nothing at all proprietary, nothing that anyone
likely to be interested has not already downloaded. So, please, treat it as
a prototype -- both form and content!

Thanks.

Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kis/schools/hums/ruhc/wlm/