11.0090 bad writing

Sun, 8 Jun 1997 15:56:35 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Charles Young <youngc@cgs.edu> (21)
Subject: Re: 11.0087 bad writing

[2] From: Michael Guest <guest@ia.inf.shizuoka.ac.jp> (34)

[3] From: BRUNI <jbrun@eagle.cc.ukans.edu> (23)
Subject: what is "good" writing?

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 19:12:53 -0700
From: Charles Young <youngc@cgs.edu>

Jeff Finlay wrote:

> > We are pleased to announce winners of the third Bad Writing
> > Contest, sponsored by the scholarly journal Philosophy and Literature
> > (published by the Johns Hopkins University Press) and its internet
> > discussion group, PHIL-LIT.
>
> It doesn't seem very philosophical to single out poststructuralist
> prose as the only kind of bad writing in academia. One would think
> a philosophy scholar would give second thought to what constitutes
> "badness." I don't see any writing in here by Lynne Cheney or ED
> Hirsch, but it seems they are equally "bad" to my way of thinking
> as any of the postmodern mouthfuls quoted in your message.

I myself disagree with much of what I've read of Cheney's, with
rather less with what I've read of Hirsch's, but I've not noticed any
special problems with either's prose. Quite the contrary, in fact, my
impression is that Cheney is ususally quite clear, and that Hirsch is
not only clear but sometimes elegant.

Do you have any passages to cite of bad prose by either of them? I'm
genuinely curious; this is not a bash.

Best wishes,
Charles