11.0092 bad writing

Thu, 12 Jun 1997 12:10:46 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Jeff Finlay <FINLAYJI@guvax.acc.georgetown.edu> (46)
Subject: bad writing

[2] From: Tzvee Zahavy <zahavy@andromeda.rutgers.edu> (20)
Subject: Re: HUMANIST digest 401

[3] From: "Mark K. Gardner" <contact.the.commander@null.net> (92)
Subject: what is good writing?

Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 13:34:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jeff Finlay <FINLAYJI@guvax.acc.georgetown.edu>

> I myself disagree with much of what I've read of Cheney's, with
> rather less with what I've read of Hirsch's, but I've not noticed any
> special problems with either's prose. Quite the contrary, in fact, my
> impression is that Cheney is ususally quite clear, and that Hirsch is
> not only clear but sometimes elegant.

Charles, I think it depends how you assess elegance and clarity; such
words are open to interpretation like anything else these days. The
Wansee document might be regarded as a "clear" piece of writing
insofar as its syntax and grammar and descriptions of procedures to
be followed are correctly expressed. Would we therefore say it's
"good writing"? Would we say Mein Kampf is "bad writing" because
of its incoherent prose whereas the Wansee document is "good
writing" because of its clinically precise prose? Extreme examples
to be sure, but the criteria (such as they are) used by Phil-Lit
would seem to suggest such a statement is possible.

I'll grant you Cheney and Hirsch (to name but two writers) are "clear"
insofar as they don't conceal the iron filings with which their gloves
are filled, but once one gets beyond the diagetic dimension of their
work, one is left asking "towards what end? why the insistence on
negating the gains (and obvious victory) of multiculturalism?" and
their implied answer on these grounds is much less clear.

But, yes, on a transparent basis, both Cheney and Hirsch suck too at
times. YOU might consider the following, from one of Hirsch's Core
Curriculum documents, "elegant prose"; I'd describe it as "rivetingly
awful":

The words that children hear in school are like so many snowflakes
falling on the school ground. (To continue the snowball metaphor,
we would need to picture the children rolling among these flakes
like so many snowballs!) Disadvantaged children may hear the words,
but they do not pick up the meanings, whereas children who have
already accumulated a covering of knowledge and vocabulary will be
picking up knowledge rapidly. As their academic snowball grows, so
does their ability to accumulate still more knowledge - - in strong
contrast to disadvantaged students whose initially meager learning
abilities get smaller and smaller by comparison, humiliating them
still further and destroying their motivation.

that the philosophical parameters of "bad" be extended beyond mere
examples of syntax being unable to convey abstruse theoretical
meanings to writing that is based upon a specious premise, writing
that is overtly agenda-driven, or, as in the case of my Nazi analogy
above, so emotive as to stimulate the reader's defenses rather than
sense of reasoning 8-).

Logocentrically yours,

Jeff Finlay